05 December 2009

Google seem to have snuck in some fixes to their calendars

I've been moving my life over to Google Apps/the Google cloud for a while now.

The last time I'd looked at moving my calendars over fully there were issues with syncing multiple calendars to both iCal on my Mac and my iPhone, it seems that Google have now fixed these.

The first fix I noticed was the fix for the iPhone, previously the only way to sync multiple calendars had been with Google Sync, their Exchange sync service, but now they have added the ability to do it with CalDAV, all you need to do is visit a webpage (from any device, so not only your iPhone) and check what calendars you want to sync. Full details here.

The fix for iCal isn't quite as neat, as for some reason they haven't offered this service for iCal. The standard way of doing this is for all calendars other than your default calendar to be displayed as "delegates" this isn't ideal, and is made worse by each calendar name being one delegate, sharing one calendar, so the calendars are nested 2 levels down, which looks very messy. There are a few workarounds available online, which show you how to create an account for each calendar, which is better, but still not ideal. I have contacted Google pointing out that the iPhone solution is much better and asking if they would consider offering it for iCal also, I will post if I get an update.

No comments:

Post a Comment