01 December 2009

Lightroom SDK and Lua

Well, it's been a few days since I downloaded the Lightroom SDK and progress hasn't been as quick as I hoped, mainly because it's been ages since I've done anything in a language that doesn't closely resemble c (and feeling all bunged up with cold). I've pretty much got my head around the syntax now though and how tables can fit within tables.

The bit that really got me was the function-context call needed for the property table, this is to make sure that the resources can be released and helps with error handling, the code needed doesn't really match up with the explanations in the SDK documents, so you need to read through it a few times.

I've been writing my scripts using the Smultron editor for Mac OS X, I did try to use Eclipse, but neither of the Lua plugins worked reliably, so I went back to Smultron, which helps by highlighting quotes, comments etc and matching up brackets. I may give Eclipse another go when I am a bit more used to using it for PHP etc, as I've not used it for a few years now and the whole plug in architecture has changed a lot, but for anyone looking for a free, platform independent IDE for most languages it is well worth a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment